Friday, April 7, 2017

Deadly Encounter by DiAnn Mills

Released: Aug. 1, 2016
401 pages
Series: FBI Task Force # 1

About the Book:
 
Airport Ranger volunteer Stacy Broussard expected a peaceful Saturday morning ride around the perimeter of Houston’s airport. What she encounters instead is a brutal homicide and a baffling mystery. Next to the body is an injured dog, the dead man’s motorcycle, and a drone armed with a laser capable of taking down a 747.
 
Though FBI Special Agent Alex LeBlanc sees a clear-cut case of terrorism, his past has taught him to be suspicious of everyone, even witnesses. Even bleeding-heart veterinarians like Stacy. But when her gruesome discovery is only the first in a string of incidences that throw her life into a tailspin, Alex begins to wonder if Stacy was targeted. As a health emergency endangers Stacy’s community, and the task force pulls in leads from all directions, Alex and Stacy must work together to prevent another deadly encounter.
 
My Rating & Thoughts:   🌟 🌟 🌟 (3 stars)
 
What begins with a discovery of a murdered man ends up leading to a plot of bioterrorism with FBI investigators trying to figure out who is involved and are various incidents connected or just moments of coincidence. There was a lot of scientific and medical talk throughout that made it hard for me to follow at times.
 
Parts of the story that I did really enjoy was Stacey’s determination to become Whitt’s mom and the remarkable intelligence of Whitt, the way he spoke and acted made it hard to remember he was only 12. The relationship between Stacey and Whitt, and the possible addition of Alex to this dynamic had me rooting for the characters. I was so touched by the change in Ace toward Whitt at the end that I cried.
 
As much as parts of the story touched me, it has not stuck with me. I know it was revealed why Stacey seemed to be in the middle of everything going on, but as I reflect back on it I can’t remember what the reason was and I just finished reading the book last night. 
 
Overall I think I would have enjoyed this story more if I understood science more than I do. I will be reading the next in the series to see where the series goes.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment