Monday, January 16, 2017

Candy Cane Kisses Collection

Published: Sept. 2016
About the Collection:

Eight Christmas Romance Novellas
   1. Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful by Susan May Warren
   2. Deadly Night, Silent Night by Margaret Daley
   3. The Wonder of His Love by Kimberly Rae Jordan
   4. Calm and Bright by Autumn Macarthur
   5. Heavenly Peace by Lesley Ann McDaniel
   6. Wish You Joy by Jan Thompson
   7. A Husband for Holly by Marion Ueckermann
   8. Maid for Marriage by Susette Williams

My Rating & Thoughts:  🌟 🌟 🌟 (3 stars)

First I have to preface this by saving novellas are not really my thing. I struggle to connect with the characters as I can't get to know them the same as you would in a longer story. Also the happy ending usually seems unrealistic as things happen so quickly or things jump ahead in time that you miss parts of the characters lives. The one advantage to novellas is that they can give a reader a nice insight to an authors writing style so they can be a great introduction to finding authors you haven't read before. Most of these stories are a part of series collection that each author has on their own. Below are my thoughts on each individual story:
 
Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful - This is part of Ms. Warren's Montana Fire Series. I haven't read any of this series and felt completely lost with the characters. There was a lot of background between the characters which made it hard me to connect with them. I think I would have enjoyed the story more if I had read the others books.
 
Deadly Night, Silent Night - Book # 8 in Ms. Daley's Strong Women, Extraordinary Situations series. Felt like this could be read a stand alone. A lot of stuff happens in just a few days and the connection between the characters felt real because they had a background together, but I didn't feel like you need to know the whole background to cheer for them. The ending surprised me, I did not suspect the person who turned out to be guilty. I enjoyed this one.
 
The Wonder of His Love  - Book # 1 in Ms. Jordan's Fostered by Love series. I really liked the Hero in this one but the Heroine bugged me. She had known Finlay as a friend for over a year yet as soon as he began to show interest in her she no longer trusted him thinking he was poor and was just after her money. But as soon as she finds out the truth about him, her opinion changes so quickly that I began to question if her feelings were real or not.
 
Calm and Bright - Book # 1 of Ms. Macarthur's Huckleberry Lake series. The main couple in this book in an ex-husband and ex-wife who's two very different wants for a hometown broke them apart once but they realize that they still have feelings for each other. Her life is at the lake and his job is in the big city. I could tell these two really cared for each other and wanted to be together but didn't know how to deal with the barrier that their wants for a home life has created. I felt the ending was rushed.
 
Heavenly Peace  - Book # 2 of Ms. McDaniel's Holiday Hearts Series but can be read as a stand alone. It was a sweet read and the little boy was cute, loved he questions he came up with. I did not like the lady at the church who tried to tell Valerie that she would lose her salvation if she remarried after her husband had passed away. Jake was a great guy, kind and backed off when Valerie pulled away. I was happy with the ending.
 
Wish You Joy - this was my least favourite of the bunch. It jumped ahead in time quite a bit that I had trouble following what was going on. At first the two main characters are fighting then all of a sudden they are dating. How did that happen? I struggled to connect with these two.
 
A Husband for Holly  - Book # 4 of Ms. Ueckermann's Seven Suitors for Seven Sisters series, but can be read as a stand alone. This was my favourite of the bunch. I loved all the characters. I laughed so much at things Agatha did or said.
 
Maid for Marriage - was very short, but author included a note why. I felt like the whole romance was based on looks. I didn't care for this story.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment